Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Update On Fuel Efficiency After some tune-up

Time for quick update, I am in hurry(some of you might be wondering)!As usual I went to Pune last week.Yes it is one place I am always ready to go, superb highway from my town to Pune is one of the reasons.Other reasons follow -
Once there I wound up some unfinished businesses of last 3 tumultuous years of MCA.:)
Then I went to new Probiking authorised service station in Pune.(readers if any from pune - Its on sinhgad road behind IBP petrol pump.name-B.K.Automobiles).I had a prearranged appointment with Mr.Vivek Pendharkar of BK auto.
I had already called him and told him about my bike's falling fuel efficiency and front disc brake that was way too much effective.
So upon reaching there , they quickly went onto business and opened the front disc caliper.Due to rains and my recent trip to konkan had deposited a lot of dirt in it and there was not much lubrication also.
So the calipers were polished with sand-paper and front wheel's axle was greased.
Secondly, carburettor was cleaned and checked for fuel mix.It turned out that the mixture was too rich.Thus channeling much more fuel into engine than necessary.This was the primary reason behind fallen efficiency.
Although I don't know how did it happen.
Anyway it was corrected and also Idle RPM was set.

All said and done, time for real road testing.Here's the cracker - Right after the tuning, bike returned 42kmpl in Pune's horrible traffic.Then I embarked on return journey to home.Believe it or not , on highway at a steady 65kmph she returned astonishing 48Kmpl.

When ridden hard like some occasional bursts to 100kmph or above and steady at 80kmph , it was down to 40kmpl, but still me think it is very very commendable.
Whoever said that performance comes at efficiency's cost, I am sorry, eat your words.

9 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for the post. Can you please explain the difference between normal engine and CV carburettor. I see the same button in P180 also. What are the advantages of CV carburettor engine? I tried your method of improving mileage. I couldn't see any change in the color of spark plugs. I opted for lean mixture, after doing this my bike is making lot more sound than before. But, the transmission and pick up were very smooth than before. Can you please explain y it is making lots of sound. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for the post. Can you please explain the difference between normal engine and CV carburettor. I see the same button in P180 also. What are the advantages of CV carburettor engine? I tried your method of improving mileage. I couldn't see any change in the color of spark plugs. I opted for lean mixture, after doing this my bike is making lot more sound than before. But, the transmission and pick up were very smooth than before. Can you please explain y it is making lots of sound. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is because 180 also uses CV carb.
    When you turn the throttle on a normal slide carb the slide goes up and the engine takes on all the fuel and air it can take and more. You are controlling how much fuel and air the engine gets. While this may give your machine snappy acceleration it also lowers your fuel efficiency. The CV carb works in a different fashion. On a CV carb the throttle turns a plate that controls airflow behind the CV slide. The slide or vacuum piston in a CV carb is controlled by, you guessed it, engine vacuum. The result is the engine only getting the amount of fuel and air it can handle. The main reason CV carbs are superior is that they are not as sensitive to temperature and altitude changes.

    The engine should be kept on ideal mix of fuel and air.
    Too lean mixture will result in lessened performance while rich mix is advised for performance.However its recommended for road users to have a mix which lies in between too rich and too lean.
    The increased sound could be because your carb was set on very lean mix and thus engine is getting more air less fuel than necessary.
    However also check your oil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi, firstly i am very happy to hear that there is someone to help us before buying a bike , i just wanted to ask u guys that Pulsar 200 is better or karizma i am a bit of confused so pls guide me i wud be very thankful to u guys here i end my comment .waiting for ur reply .thanks take care .

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey drowning... i am planning to buy a p200 and i trying to find out the issues behind the front forks failing... are they still happening or has bajaj fixed the problem? i love to do stoppies and can't have the front wheels disappear from under me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry guys for late replies
    got entangled in work :)

    anyway adil,
    its a tough choice between zma and P200 as both are pretty close performance wise.
    what will matter is the price , with zma being more expensive than p200.
    however zma is more comfortable.
    p200 is more fuel efficient though :)
    so there you go, depends on ur priority list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey naveen ,
    the front fork issues has long been sorted out and there are no such problems in present generation p200.
    so go on do the stoppies without fear :) (but with riding gear!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey i don't think the 48Kmpl is an astonishing millage!

    I got a millage of 47 in my 200's stock settings but made some upgrades, i put a "K&N power filter and NGK iridium spark plugs" and re tuned my carburetor to a standard RPM of about 1200.Now am getting a millage of 54kmpl with an improver performance in throttle response and a top speed of 149 with superb engine sound.

    i think you guy's should try this.

    54Kmpl is more astonishing than 48kmpl.

    But for a superb performance you should keep the engine in Mid RPM (5000-6000)

    Have fun... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete